It’s 2010. IPL T20 tigers are chasing for runs and wickets in different stadiums catered across cities in India. Cricket supporters and lovers flocking around gallery, shouting and crying. In other side our honorable chief minister Smt. Sheila Dikshit of Delhi and Bollywood hearth throb Abhishek Bachchan looked serious on Global Warming. They launched WWF’s Earth Hour 2010 at a press conference organized at World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) office in New Delhi.
The above two scenario might look contradictory. Let me explain,
We are familiar with Global Warming/Climate Change. Reason behind this phenomenon is uncontrolled emission of green house gases. Power sectors in India contributes major parts of carbon emissions, amounting to 50%. And it is fact that 70-80% of India’s power sector produces power from coal, which is posing threat of very higher level of CO2 emission. (source: earth hour)
Earth Hour 2010 has been scheduled on 27th March at 8:30—9:30 PM IST, on the same day IPL 2010 also has a fixture of the match Kings XI Punjab vs Kolkata Knight Riders at 8:00 PM IST at Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali.
Now, the contradictory question begins.
Should IPL 2010 Show Support for Earth Hour 2010?
As the two events are going to take place at the same date and time(half-n-hour difference). We know power consumption by the floodlights and other lights round the stadium is not at all negligible; it is much higher, we can’t imagine! The purpose of the Earth Hour is to show our support to curb the unimaginable catastrophic effect of Global Warming/Climate Change by switching off lights for 60 Seconds. So, why not IPL organizer, players show-off their support for this Global event?—Turn off the lights of the whole stadium for 60 Seconds.
It’s my kind appeal to IPL Chairman and Commissioner Mr. Lalit Modi, BCCI, Kings XI Punjab owner Preity Zinta & Ness Wadia, Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shahrukh Khan and their respective team members to think on this matter seriously and make a milestone. We want IPL every year with same kind of joy and excitement and we also want our beautiful mother earth. We know, a child without a mother is careless.
I hope! My kind appeal will be heard. Please! Save our Earth…save our Earth…Support Earth Hour 2010.
You can support Earth Hour by:
- Turning off your lights at 8.30PM on March 27
- Showing your support and adding yourself to Earth Hour world map
- Spread the word by adding Earth Hour widgets, logos and banners to your blog or website
- Talking about Earth Hour in your social network by updating your Facebook status, grabbing a Twibbon, tweeting about your support, and more
- Get together with your friends and family, by hosting an Earth Hour party or holding your own candlelit affair
- Rally your local council or community group to run an Earth Hour event for your community
- Encourage your employer and workmates to take part in Earth Hour and make energy savings every day
- Make an Earth Hour Lantern as a symbol of hope for the future
support credit to: earthhour.org