The cyber attack by WannaCrypt malware also well known as WannaCry is giving us too much headache due to social media hype. It is one of the biggest cyberattacks that we have ever seen impacting over 150 countries and infecting more than 250,000 machines.
WannaCry is a type of malicious software or malware classified as ransomware. It encrypts ( or locks ) essential files on your Windows device (or hard disks ) and forces you into paying money (a ransom) to regain access to those files. It primarily focuses on organizational or business networks.
But, there is no reason to worry too much. You always need to be aware of this kind of attack by today and also in future. So, the question is how to be safe?
Follow this few Security Tips,
- Immediately users and organizations are advised to apply patches to Windows systems as mentioned in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.
- Turn on automatic updates on your PC, and your devices are up to date.
- Don’t visit unsafe, suspicious, or fake websites.
- Don’t Open emails and email attachments that you weren’t expecting or from people you don’t know.
- Don’t Open malicious or bad links in emails, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media posts, or in instant messenger chats, like Skype.
- Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus to help protect you from viruses and malware.
- Turn on File history if it hasn’t already been turned on by your PC’s manufacturer. Learn more about file history.
- Back up the content on your PC regularly.
Also published on Medium.